Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Is My Responsibility to Others?

If "others" refers to the people in need, I think I thought my responsibility should only extend to money donations occasionally to charities, the donation of clothes to Goodwill and/or Salvation Army, and greater donations when I am older with a steady job. Looking back, I think I was ignorant or unwilling to deal with what was really my responsibility to others. For example, was I supposed to be giving away a certain percentage of my allowance to the poor? Was it wrong to spend the money I earned on books while more unfortunate people on the street were suffering from discomfort or hunger?

Similar questions were addressed or discussed in "Singer's Solution." This article or essay was probably the one that made me really rethink my responsibility to others. After reading it, it made me wonder deep, disturbing questions such as: to what extent would I personally be willing to go to save a child's life? Would I risk a limb? All the money I own? My life? In the end, though, I think I would do whatever God asked me to do. If he were to ask me to sacrifice something, I think I would follow His orders no matter the consequences. But first, I would make sure it was really His voice that I'm hearing and not someone or something else's.

After reading "Singer's Solution," the whole guilt trick that Singer pulled on his readers might have worked on me. By this, I mean I was ready to give up tens of thousands of dollars to charities and people in need when I grew older and had a solid flow of income. I was convinced I could live on only $30,000 a year in order that I could help the poor to the best of my ability. Right now, I am still not sure if I would willing to do that. I mean, would it be a smart thing to do? Would it be worth it if it would save someone else's life? Wouldn't I want to be helped by someone who had more than enough money if I myself were a child in need?

All in all, all the articles that we read in class made me think deeply about my responsibility to others. However, I think the conclusion I have come to is that I would do whatever God asks me to do. If he were to present me with an opportunity to work at an orphanage or something to that effect, I would pray about it and do it if I thought He was asking it of me. Although other people will think differently, that's the way I see it.

1 comment:

Kim :) said...

Mr. Singer had me convinced too! When we first looked at the essay, I wondered why everyone wasn't donating large portions of their salaries to charities. Then, I realized that it was because Mr. Singer was asking people to make drastic, life-altering changes. Also, people don't want to change their whole lives if they are the only ones, meaning their sacrifice will go almost unnoticed. I don't blame them, but it is unfortunate. But you made a great point that if you were in need, you would want "rich" people in America to donate money to you. Great response, it made me think!